Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dan Deacon - "The Crystal Cat" from Spiderman of the Rings



Dan Deacon
"The Crystal Cat" from Spiderman of the Rings
Carpark 2007


Reactor Rating: 3.5 out of 10

I am going to be absolutely honest here, but I don't buy into this Dan Deacon hype at all. And quite frankly, I find it baffling. On first listen of his most demanded iTunes track: "The Crystal Cat" I thought perhaps I had accidentally downloaded the wrong song. Certainly, it was not the same key track from the album getting rave reviews from Pitchfork and the like. Was it? Couldn't be. In fact, when this blur of a song started, I was immediately confused: was I listening to the white noise from my television set or the dish washer? Or was it a chorus of the Lolly Pop Guild and say, Alvin and the Chipmunks? No lie. Imagine all these elements commingled and you have "The Crystal Cat."

Maybe, what I missed in the studio version of "The Crystal Cat" is the energy and oddity that Deacon could bring to his live performances (which he is said to give a great, highly energetic show) and I certainly wont take from that. Yet, I still can't get past the fact that I feel Deacon is just novelty act, where being odd outshines the need to make something truly great. Is Deacon then the Weird Al for modern times? I hope not, as at the end of the day, being weird only goes so far. And listening to an album of this madness would be sheer madness.

-Mark Dougherty

No comments: