Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lewis & Clarke - "Be the Air we Breathe" from Blasts of Holy Birth


Lewis & Clarke
"Be the Air we Breathe" from Blasts of Holy Birth

La Societe 2007

At Lewis & Clarke's MySpace page (www.myspace.com/lewisclarke) one of the words that they used to describe their music as was "healing." This word speaks degrees to me, and insinuates that ability that something has to improve you or to make you feel whole once again. Moreover, to make you feel better and willing to embrace life.

I honestly, could never in my lifetime, find a better word to describe Lewis and Clarke's song "Be the Air we Breathe," from their newly released album Blasts of Holy Birth. The song itself is majestic and pastoral. It's enchanting. But most of all, it is healing.

On first listen of this subtle yet epic song, I envisioned myself flying over serene Irish meadows. This was easy to do with a backdrop of their gentle classical guitar, soft keys and elegant harp work.

Soon enough, I found myself soaring over craggy cliffs (with the aid of the rising tension provided by the drum track). And then once past the cliffs, I was over the sea, as guided by the delicate vocals on the track and its monumental instrumental end.

And I did not want to come back from this vision — I wanted this moment to last forever.

But then I came to and remembered again, that this is healing music and whatever healing I needed at this point in my life, Lewis and Clarke on "Be The Air we Breathe" so calmly and so refreshingly provided.

You can listen to four tracks from Lewis and Clarke's new album Blasts of Holy Light at the aforementioned MySpace page, or purchase it through their homepage (www.lewisandclarke.com), I just did and I can't wait to experience it again.

-Mark Dougherty

No comments: